Kynesim is a small technology consultancy firm based in
Cambridge, UK with strong links to the University of Cambridge, for
which some of our staff routinely teach.
We provide top-flight hardware and software development services,
available on a time and materials or per-project basis to a variety of
clients in the UK start-up, SME and public sectors, specialising in
video (particularly set-top boxes and connected TVs), home automation
and energy monitoring.
Many of us were originally members of SJ Consulting and we have a
good track record of delivering challenging technology to solve
hard problems on tight deadlines.
Our current focus includes Android devices of various shapes, from
phones to TVs to wall-mounted and tablet computers, connected TVs and
an increasing amount of USB expertise. We expect more IPv6-related
work as the IPv4 address space becomes exhausted and we appear to be
looking at more 'big iron' - data-center and web-based - projects.
Recent projects include:
Android 2.2 port for an IPTV STB (shortly to become a DVB hybrid):
this involved taking a port of Android to a new SoC, patching up to Android 2.2 and
developing extensions suitable for STB operation. The device will be showing at
ZiiLABS' meeting room at CES 2011 -
contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- OMAP (Beagle and Panda board) prototyping - for
various clients; we've a long-standing and productive relationship
with TI and have built prototype devices for various industries
and several shipping STBs based on their products.
- CCTV video surveillance for the UK public sector -
involving repairing corrupt discs, decoding with gstreamer,
transcoding video to Theora and serving it to network
terminals with smooth forward and reverse trickplay support.
- Extensive and various USB implementations - on architectures
including PIC18, OMAP3, Blackfin, ZiiLABS ZMS-08, and Cypress
NX2LP-Flex (CY7C68016 etc.). See our
products page for some of the results of this.
- Prototype STB using browser automation to play VoD content - iPlayer, 4od, etc.
- Secure USB mass storage device design and development -
for GSW connections's
- OTT delivery of VoD content - for various projects,
including embedded implementations of Flash-based streaming,
WMDRM10, MMS and various kinds of RTSP and HTTP streaming on
- Video URL sharing back-end prototype - implemented using GWT and Hadoop.
- PIC18 USB IR receiver - see our products page for details.
- Significant work on ST 710x devices at the STAPI and STLinux layers.
- Low latency MPEG2 to H.264 transcoder for a US ATSC STB system.
- Development of a novel ATSC video decode system for the US cable market.
- Hardware and software development for advanced scientific imaging devices.
- Development of the Norton SD STB for VNL Ltd - one of the UK's first
IPTV VoD deployments.
- Low power radio systems based on
the Ember EM250/260 Zigbee
- Clean-room re-implementation of the JFFS2 flash filesystem.
We also have a couple of products of our own that
are available for purchase or licencing.
some software and documentation you can
download and you can keep up with us on blogspot
For more information about our services, click on the buttons to
the left or contact us for a chat or a quote.